Saturday, February 16, 2008

How I spent the rest of my winter vacation

Having been very busy with an unimaginably wide-range of things the past few weeks, I haven't yet written about how I spent a large chunk of my first real winter break in four years (taking vacation days while working isn't really a "winter break").

One of the great things about being a student at MIT is IAP (Independent Activities Period) during January, which"has provided members of the MIT community with a unique opportunity to organize, sponsor and participate in a wide variety of activities, including how-to sessions, forums, athletic endeavors, lecture series, films, tours, recitals and contests." Alternatively, it offers students an opportunity to take an extended winter break to travel, prepare and interview for summer internships, or partake in a month-long intern/externship.

With my interest in either starting or joining a high tech startup in the near future, I thought IAP would be a great time to spend a few weeks and get experience working at a startup. In thinking about what kind of startup to choose, I followed my belief that the most important thing about a startup is a great team (yes there are successful entrepreneurial efforts from great product ideas or just great luck, but if I had to place bets, I'd go with a great team).

I asked my good friend Jini for any recommendations she may have for startups with great teams and she responded by telling me about a startup whose four co-founders are the ex-Googlers who were responsible for creating Gmail and Google Maps—which are, in my opinion, hands down the most innovative and useful products to have been home-grown at Google, aside from Search. Jini made an introduction for me to one of the co-founders, Paul. Paul was employee #23 at Google and was responsible for Gmail, Google's famous "Don't be evil" motto, and the first AdSense prototype. Fortunately he and the rest of the co-founders agreed to let me in their doors, and in my next post I'll talk about the extremely good fortune I had of interning at a young startup called FriendFeed.

Aside from the internship, I also was in Vegas for a weekend with classmates, flew on five consecutive weekends, with the past four weekends being trips between Boston and San Francisco (both ways the past two weekends, so six coast-to-coast flights in total) for interviews. The last of which is this Monday (and finally a non-redeye from SF to Boston!). All in all, this has resulted in me being quite confused as to which coast and time-zone I'm on.

No comments: